Art is the founder of New Media Rights, and practices public interest law in the areas of internet, intellectual property, and communications law.
Art is also an adjunct professor of law at California Western School of Law teaching the course Internet & Social Media Law (primarily focused on Internet, Intellectual Property, licensing, and online publishing law).
In 2011 and 2013, Art was appointed as a member of the Federal Communication Commission's Consumer Advisory Committee. In 2014, Art was named to the Fastcase 50, which honors the law's smartest, most courageous innovators, techies, visionaries, & leaders.
Proposed Copyright Small Claims Court May Have A Bigger Impact Than The DMCA - November 2012 Techdirt Feature
"Suing John Doe: A new wave of filesharing lawsuits" Fall 2011 Journal of Internet Law (Aspen Publishers)
"Social Media and the Law: Here Comes Everybody!" 2010 May CEB Business Law Quarterly (A publication of the University of California and the State Bar of California)
Some talks & testimony
- June 2014 – Panelist at Vidcon 2014 “Copyright on Youtube?”
- June 2014 – Panelist for Copyright Society of the USA “Crowd-sourced editorial content and Fan Productions”
- March 2014 - SXSW Interactive 2014, Austin, TX - Stand Up To Content Bullies, Know Your Copy Rights
- February 2014-Califorina Lawyers for the Arts & New Media Rights- Artist-Gallery Agreements and Copyright Law
- December 2013-San Diego Mini Maker Faire - Copyright & Trademark Issues Of Digital Fabrication
- December 2013- San Diego Central Library & FAB LAB San Diego - Panel Discussion: Copyright and IP Issues Related to 3D Printing
- November 2013 - California State Bar IP Insitute, Berkeley, CA - Copyrights or Copywrongs: Is the Current System of Enforcement Working?
- October 2013 - North County IP Section, Carlsbad, CA. Why did my content disappear? How the DMCA takedown process affects websites, users, and plaintiffs.
- September 2013 Basics of Copyright, how Creative Commons licenses work, and video releases - San Diego City College Documentary Film class
- May 2013 - 2013 Alliance for Community Media Conference Panel, San Francisco, CA -Free Speech vs. Copyright: An Intersection or a Collision?
- April 2013 - American Association of Law Schools (AALS) Transactional Clinical Conference, Austin, TX - Panelist for "Creating Lawyers as Problem-Solvers, Appreciating the Risks and Benefits, Clinical Examples of Non-Traditional Transactional Clinic Matters"