VIII. How can I get permission to use a copyrighted work?

VII. How can I get permission to use a copyrighted work?
The term for permission to use someone’s copyrighted work is referred to as a “license.” There are all sorts of industry terms for specific types of licenses, including “mechanical licenses” and “synchronization licenses.”
No matter what they are called, they all serve the same purpose. They grant sometimes unlimited, sometimes exclusive rights to any one of the many rights that copyright grants to copyright holders.
How easy or difficult it is to get permission varies wildly.
A photographer, Eric Cheng, describes his process for deciding whether to give away his photographic work for free or ask for compensation.
If you need help finding the proper party to ask permission from to use a work or if you need help understanding the terms of a license agreement provided to you, feel free to contact New Media Rights at (619) 591-8870 or for free, pro bono legal assistance. 
Frequently asked questions about how to get permission to use a copyrighted work
How do you find out who owns a copyright?

How do I find out who owns the copyright in a book?

How can you find copyright info of a book?

Can the same book have multiple copyright dates?

Is a copyright date the same as a publication date?
The contents of this guide were created through support from the CCPF - the California Consumer Protection Foundation


Content Types: